Until a few years ago, the four wheel drive technology was only implemented in a few cars like the sports utility vehicles. Of late, the things have undergone a transformation with many other types of cars also being produced with the four wheel drive system. The change was mainly due to the realization that this technology brought better control in the vehicles. The traction and the handling of such cars are higher and the performance of them is excellent.
The basic concept of a 4×4 drive is that all the four wheels took the power from the engine simultaneously. The term 4×4 means that the first term represents the number of the wheels fitted to the vehicle and the second term i.e. ‘4’ represents the number of wheels which get the power from the engine. During the 2-wheel drive, only two wheels are powered. Do note that in some countries like the USA, the 4 wheel drive may also refer to the 2 – wheel drive cars because of the option they are fitted in which allows them to switch between the two modes. In these countries, the vehicles that have the 4 wheel drive mode at all times are known as all-wheel drive vehicles.
What are the advantages?
- When you have the four wheel drive on your vehicle, the chances that your vehicles might slip into slush and get stuck are pretty rare.
- If you are driving the vehicle on a rainy or a snow – clad roll, the better traction and handling offered as a result of the technology will avoid or stop your vehicle from slipping on the road.
- The traction functionality will also help you get better acceleration and braking power on normal smooth roads.
- Also, these vehicles are ideal for driving on roads with sharp turns as the side traction controls are usually extremely smooth.
- The vehicles also reach amazing speeds without throwing the vehicle into danger, that is, there are no compromises on the security aspect of it.
- Four wheel drive vehicles are usually big sized and they are ideal for large families or people who want to explore the rough terrain. In fact, the technology was primarily introduced for cars for going through the rough terrains safety.
If you do not have four – wheel drive vehicles, do not worry. Good four wheel drive hire are out there in the plenty which allows you to choose the vehicle of your choice and the duration for driving the same. Whether you want to explore the entirety of Queensland or want to undertake a more specific, Fraser Island 4wd hire, the services are out there just for you. Start touring.